Take a look at some of the innovative provisions of the new Electoral Amendment Act recently signed by President Mohammadu Buhari.
1. The period of a public campaign by political parties must commence 150 days before polling day.
2. The Act allows INEC to determine the voting procedure.
3. Political parties should conduct primaries and submit the list of candidates 180 days before general elections.
4. Political parties are not allowed to change a candidate whose name has been submitted to the Commission except the candidate dies.
5. Presiding officers shall use smart cards/technological devices prescribed by the Commission for the accreditation of Voters.
6. INEC Shall issue a notice of election, including the date and place, not later than 360 days before the appointed day of the election.
7. The Act makes it an offence for any individual to conceal his/her membership or connection to any political party in order to secure an appointment with INEC.
8. Election funds due to the Commission for any general election must be released no later than one year.
9. The Act empowers the Presiding Officer at a polling unit to cancel the election results in the polling unit if the number of votes exceeds the number of voters.
10. INEC should take reasonable steps to ensure that persons with disabilities are assisted at the polling place.